$200K - G3 LeComte - Fair Grounds Race 12
Very wide open race to kickoff the Road to Derby 145.
1) Wicked Indeed - One of two for S. Asmussen; loses go-to rider Santana to Tight Ten. Still upside in his second attempt at route of ground. Tapit colt wasn’t asked inside of 1/8 pole last out.
2) Malpais - Unknown commodity first time long; trainer J. Sharp bats 20% with last out maiden winners.
3) Tackett - Fired in all three lifetime starts, already two wins at this trip in New Orleans. Makes a lot of sense especially if taking another step forward. As usual, Stidham/Bravo duo firing on all cylinders.
7) Roiland - Late running homebred is adding blinkers for T. Amoss barn - usually a positive angle. Most recent works have been much sharper; should be longer than 12/1?
8) War of Will - Rolled over a sealed/sloppy CD surface which is allegedly kind to turfers. Anyhow, Casse seems optimistic with Gaffalione taking a flight in from GP to see if he’s the goods.
11) Tight Ten - Connections probably wish they could have his BC Juvenile back after bouncing off the rail and maybe waited for KY Jockey Club three weeks later. Santana opts for this runner (which is usually telling). Local works sharp, likely to be up close/on the lead.
12) Plus Que Parfait - Was it the slop? Was it the hot pace? Was it Leparoux? I don’t know why he wound up so far behind in the KY Jockey Club. Either way, he ran well enough. Proven at two turns, he makes sense.
13) Manny Wah - Only two off-the-board starts are at Churchill. Just too close to hot pace in 100K Street Sense. Not sure why Catalano decided to add blinkers for the Sugar Bowl. Regardless, I thought he ran well there. Needs to break sharp from this far outside post.